Below is a list of sustainable steps our Southern California catering company takes to put the maximum amount of green love into the dishes we prepare for your wedding or special event.
Our Southern California catering team takes great strides to ensure that Eco Caters is environmentally friendly. Through our organic practices and our ongoing commitment to supporting local farmers and businesses, we take pride in greening our company from top to bottom.
SAN DIEGO URBAN GARDEN
One of the fun passions our Head Chef’s have taken on is growing an organic urban garden right in their own backyard. The fruits, vegetables, and eggs they produce are used throughout our San Diego and Los Angeles catering events! Currently Eco Caters is using the following ingredients from their organic gardens to create your dishes:
- 5 to 10 lbs of figs per week
- 10 organic free range eggs every day
- All the fresh herbs used in San Diego events
- Other items include: bananas, oranges, lemons, macadamia nuts, lettuce, kale, chard, corn, tomatoes, potatoes, radishes, carrots, beets, green beans, purple beans, fennel, onions, garlic, green onion, peaches, loquats, sweet peppers, habaneros, ghost peppers, and much more…all organic of course!
We are extremely excited to announce that our San Diego kitchen is currently composting over 1,000 gallons of food scraps per year that would otherwise be going to the landfill. Not only that, Eco Caters is using that compost mulch to give nutrients back to the herbs and veggies the Chefs are growing in their urban gardens.
MINIMIZING OUR IMPACT
Our organic Southern California catering company has worked hard over the years to make a conscious effort towards minimizing the impact our catering company places on our planet and our local community.
The following are ways in which we try to minimize our impact on the environment:
1) Everything we serve is organic. This prevents pesticides from being sprayed on the food and eventually running off into the streams and oceans. Organic is better for people and the environment.
2) Our products are bought from local farmers. This minimizes drive time, CO2 released into the atmosphere, and the wasted energy that it takes to ship produce all around the country. Eco Caters also takes pride in carefully selecting the farms we do business with to provide thee very best in local ingredients.
3) We minimize waste by using more reusable products and equipment, leaving the client leftovers or donating to the homeless, composting organic materials and using every bit of product that we buy. In our San Diego kitchen we compost over 1000 gallons of compost per year, which we use in our garden to give nutrients back to the herbs and vegetables we grow.
4) We recycle all of our oil to be used in biodiesel vehicles.
5) When clients do not want to use rentals we always provide biodegradable and compostable plates, napkins, cups, flatware and trash bags as the next best alternative. These items biodegrade even in the landfill.
6) In our office we use recycled paper and take notes on scrap. We do not recycle until the entire page, front and back, is used.
7) Drive high MPG vehicles (i.e. Prius) to all events and meetings.
This article highlights just a few of our ongoing commitment to our sustainable spirit. Each event we do is unique, Eco Caters is always collaborating with our clients to think of new ways we can minimize waste and maximize efficiency. Our team is always open to new and creative suggestions.